|View of the Museum of Art from the Visitor’s Center where the walk registration takes place.|
|We took the walking trail though the sculptures.|
|We passed this Railroad display.|
|Had to stop and admire the Lion.|
|Mummy on the ground.|
|United States Courthouse.|
|Passed this part of the Zoo. Looks like a slide in a playground.|
|Old Cemetery Center.|
|Cemetery Entrance with Historical Marker.|
Most of the graves in this cemetery are above-ground crypts,|
much like the cemeteries found in New Orleans.
Southern Pacific Railroad Passenger Depot.|
Spanish Revival style, built in 1928.
Used as a depot until 1952.
|Pretty nifty idea. Didn’t see any birds using them though.|
|Nice Old Church.|
This Spanish Colonial Revival home was built in 1929|
for Celestino Pardo Barreda, banker and store owner.
|Downtown area of Brownsville.|
United States Post Office and Courthouse, circa 1931.|
Beaux-Arts style Federal Building is no longer a courthouse,
but it is still a post office.
|Fort Brown is now Southmost College.|
|Interesting how this plant grew sideways.|
|Carol and Ed on the old fort hospital colonnade.|
|View from the Commandant's Quarters.|
Morgue behind the post hospital of old Fort Brown,
not sure what the college uses it for now.
|Island in the canal.|
|Part of the UT Brownsville Complex.|
Neale House Gazebo with the “wall” between
the United States and Mexico close behind it.
The Neal House is likely the city's oldest wood-frame house.|
This home was occupied by Wm. Neale and his family in 1850.
Originally located on E. 14th St, the building was both a
residence and a stage coach office.
|Mural from 1945 Fort Brown.|
Brownsville’s Spanish Revival Town Hall was built on
Market Square in 1852. A hurricane in 1867 toppled the
bell tower and damaged the second floor, but it only took
a year to rebuild. Most of the building was remodeled in 1948.
Immaculate Conception Church. This Gothic Revival church,|
built by the Oblates of Mary in 1856, has 38 stained glass windows.
The first Cameron County Courthouse, built in 1883.
The building was sold to the Masonic Temple of the
Rio Grande in 1914 and has remained the meeting place
for Brownsville masons ever since.
|La Nueva Libertad|
Circa 1893 .
The second Cameron County Courthouse, a simple
Beaux-Arts building with four identical facades,
was built in 1912. The courthouse was restored,
both inside and out, for use by the Cameron County
Commissioner’s Court in 2006.
|Historical plaque about courthouse.|
|Another old hotel?|